Julie Lindsay (Beijing China)
Students have a lot of technology on them all the time. Spion James Bond Super Mini Digital Camera Spy Pen
- these were used in Iran to capture footage.
We can't ban everything - we have to change behaviour.
Be Careful - This machine has no brain - use yours
Things are becoming unblockable (students have cell phones with data plans) - we have to get to behaviour - can't act as a police state - it's about getting at behaviour.
Digital Citizenship - the norms of behaviour with regards to digital use
Digital Citizenship Digi Teen
Nine elements within three main areas have been identified that together make up digital citizenship (Digital Citizenship in Schools by Mike Ribble and Gerald Bailey)
Communication Collaboration Content Action
To be a digiteacher -
- research technology and connect yourself
- monitor and be engaged
- Avoid the 'fear factor' Make a difference
For parents to understand digital citizenship
what is digital literacy
Anne - Digital Citizenship Tools Resources & Best Practices -
bookmarking on diigo - Join the digital citizenship group
Nine Themes of Digital Literacy
- excellent resource - posters, info, what to do if there is a problem, AUPs - resources for administrators
Materials can be taken and repurposed, adapted for your own use.
There is a ppt available for teachers - can be printed out
Where does cybersafety fit into the curriculum
- students made public service announcements
- science - MISSING from Web Wise Kids
- dizzywood.com - social networking environment for very young studetns - used for social skills - had to learn to collaborate as teams
- Adina's Deck http://www.adinasdeck.com - highly recommended
- on diigo wiki http://www.diigo.com/user/abubnic/DCwiki
You can have public and private pages - - public shows all your public pages
Easy to feed from Diigo into wiki, blog, Pageflakes..... by tag, by group, etc.
Virtual World - Digiteen Island
Interview with BBC - and Vicki's students in reactiongrid
9th graders constructed an area to teach about cyber citizenship
Woogi World - to learn about internet safety
Have a discussion with your students about what you reveal
Discuss and agree before hand
First name, last name, pseudonym
With global projects be careful about
- showing affection in photographs
responses to others
Be aware that others may interpret and react to things differently - teaching respect for other cultures.
How to deal with problems
Fireshot - takes a screenshot - you can annotate it, blur it,
When you have a problem - if you delete content - then you can't deal with problem - grab a copy and then delete it. Send public comment - because it has been seen publicly.
Print page as pdf
copy pdf to student's teacher
communicate between teachers
Advocates for Digital Citizenship, Safety and Success - NECC sessions with content dealing with digital citizenship